Saturday, July 22, 2006

Absentee Blogging

Well, with my last post I broke two of my very own blog records. The first was my all time high number of comments. That’s right, 16 baby! And that’s not including me adding my own comments to your comments; it’s a solid 16. Not that I’m counting, of course. I blog for myself…of course…

And the second record was the extremely long period of time that I left that rather pathetic/complaining post up there. But I have a reason, which I probably should have mentioned earlier when I had the chance. Sam and I are away. Hubby is studying for the Bar and is taking the test early next week. So Sam and I decided to escape before he went all Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" on us. Since Thursday we have been in the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains visiting my parents.

I had big plans to write a sarcastic and ridiculous post documenting a horrible airline experience, but much to my dismay the trip was great. This was the second time that I have flown with Sam by myself, the first one being that lovely trip we took from Chicago to Philadelphia for the move. You remember that, the time I had to drag the car seat through the airport with absolutely no assistance and then install it into 2 different seats on the plane because the flight attendant made me move just before take off? Yeah, we all remember that trip.

My little cherub was perfect, though. I believe the key to my success was that I arranged to be moved so that there was an empty seat next to me, imperative to the happiness of all. Of course, that didn’t stop all of the people in the vicinity of our seats to moan and murmur, “Oh crap” to each other as Sam and I approached. But then Sam was awesome, the snacks mommy brought were awesome, the secret toys mommy had hidden for a week and saved for the plane ride were awesome, and no one had a leg to stand on. By the end of the flight Sam was still happy and started waving to everybody, who, now that the flight was over and they saw they would not be bothered by a screaming baby, were happy to wave and smile back. Seriously, when a mom gets though a flight with so little disturbance to those around her, I think she deserves applause at the end. When I stood up with him to get off the plane it was all I could do to not turn around and bow, waiting for their ovation for my totally AWESOME MOMNESS. I did get in trouble though. We had a fasten seat belt sign on because of some turbulence (nothing like clutching your child on the bumpiest plane ride you’ve ever been on). When I thought it was done I put Sam back down in the empty seat next to me and immediately the flight attendant came on the intercom with: “Will the lady with the lap child please be sure to hold the child in her lap?!” I blushed like a 6th grader getting busted passing a note. People actually turned around to look at us.

As soon as we stepped off the plane I pretty much checked out. I’d been fighting a cold since Tuesday and after the flight it pretty much took hold (the air sickness from the turbulence certainly didn't help), leaving me in a snotty funk and so very glad to be with parents who could take care of Sam while I wallowed around feeling sorry for myself. Hubby and I weren’t sure we’d made the right decision as this trip approached. I felt I was abandoning him in his time of need, despite the detailed meal plan I wrote out for him. And when lone air travel with a child looms in the future, it’s hard to not second guess one’s decision. But once I started getting sick it was clear we had done the right thing. Now Hubby could study in peace, sans needy baby and sick wife, and not feel bad about how much time he needed to spend working. And like I said, I’ve checked out. Today my mom asked what I wanted Sam to have for lunch, a question that normally would be met with a detailed menu incorporating just the right balance of vegetables, grains, and fruits. I believe my response was something along the lines of, “I dunno. Whatever you want.” Yeah, absentee mommy here.

So the blogging and the commenting may continue to be a little sparse until next week. Then Sam and I come home for 2 days and we all go on a celebrate-the-end-of-the-Bar-beach-extravaganza, where I am not sure we will have internet access - oh, the horror.

In the meantime though, I am totally convinced that the flight home is going to be horrendous. In my experience so far, if one flight goes well, the other one fully deserves to be feared with every fiber of one’s being, and I am fearing it. I’m convinced we will not have an empty seat next to us and Sam will be forced to sit on my lap for the entire 2 hours. From the short time he had to stay on my lap on the flight out, I learned that trying that for any period longer than 15 minutes would not be wise. So what are your suggestions for entertaining a baby on one’s lap on an airplane? I didn’t buy him a seat because of all the trouble we had on that trip that must not be named with the car seat, but now I’m really wishing I’d sprung for the promise of a seat for Sam. Any suggestions? And don’t even try to suggest that I try and get him to go to sleep unless you are also recommending that I inject him with horse tranquilizers, because there’s no way it’s going to work any other way.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy. All work and no play makes Hubby a dull boy.

11:01 PM  
Blogger scraphappymama said...

Okay my fave entertaining tricks are the Crayola Color Wonder Items (both markers and fingerpaints. Both my kids love them. The fingerpaints you have to watch more closely, as he might try to eat it. I also love the travel size magna doodle. Books.

In the end, entertaining a child for very long is a hard task. Best of luck!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh I hope you are feeling better and I do hope your flight home is only so awesome it leaves you amazing (not horrid) things to blog about!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a Great time!!Just bring the hammer and the balls. That was HILARIOUS!! He is so serious about hammering!

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate when you're hoping for a bad experience so you have a story to tell, and then everything turns out well? Everything's better if you have a story. Oh, and I loved your commentary on the people groaning when they saw you two approach, and how you wanted to bow to a round of applause afterward. I agree; you did deserve applause. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to keep a child reigned in. I haven't tried it, but I've had plenty of bratty kids around me on flights.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

I have no suggestions for the plane ride home. I do hope it goes just as smoothly as the first one though.

I simply dread the thought of taking Boo with me on a plane. He'd have to be in a car seat. If he sat in my lap he'd be fighting me the whole time trying to get down!

I hope you feel better soon! There is nothing worse then having a cold on a trip away from home!

2:57 PM  
Blogger KatieBug said...

We take along flashcards, board books, hot wheels, and finger puppets when we travel. Lots of snacks usually work, but if not you can always pull out the mini M&Ms and dumdums. :)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

Yes, I've found things that keep their mouths busy are the ones that are most effective at keeping them happy. Of course, I have no idea how long your flight is....he might not eat for a week if you feed him non-stop for a couple of hours.

Congrats on the ride out there....it's such a relief when something you were dreading turns out to be okay and even good. Hope you feel better soon.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Oh boy do I hate flying with my kids. I've done it a lot since we live on the opposite side of the country from my family and a couple states away from Steve's family. Little Sister was absolutely beastly on our last flights. Lots and lots of fruit snacks and M&M's get us through. Bring cars that he can roll around on the tray tables...Little Boy always liked that.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Haven't done the whole flying with baby thing. Not sure I'm any good with advice here. One thing I read in a toddler toy idea book was taking a cookie sheet with magnets on it. I thought that was a cool idea. I mean, if the kid was into magnets...

Glad you are having a good time and I hope your cold gets better.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

16 comments, OH MY! I am excited to get just one :)
You are doing a great job with your blog btw, its no wonder it is getting popular.
Have a nice flight home, there are plenty of other things to blog about than an unpleasant trip!!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth,
Love your blog...I found it through Lifenut. I just returned from flying with my 1 1/2 year old. I bought him a seat but did NOT bring the car seat on. I didn't want to have to deal with the car seat...you know why! He did great sitting in the seat next to me. You do not have to have the carseat! Also M&M's in the little packages worked wonders!
Buy him a seat, you can get an infant rate, and don't bring the car seat. It makes a world of difference! Amy

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home