Sunday, October 15, 2006

Write with me!

So I think I’m going to be all daring and try and write a book. For quite some time, since the days where I taught in a middle school, I’ve had an idea for a novel for young audiences. I never really got anywhere with it, some character names and a written and rewritten first page that I didn’t even end up saving. But as of late I’ve been kind of flailing around, wondering what the heck it is that I’m doing with myself and what I intend to do with myself in the future. I must admit I need a little more than what I’ve got going on right now. It’s not that I don’t find being a stay at home mom to be fulfilling…well, maybe it is. Maybe that’s exactly what it is. I think right now I am lacking goals of my own, and that’s hard. So when Heather over at One Woman's World posted about National Novel Writing Month it was perfect. It’s time to get down to business and try to write this thing to see what comes of it; hopefully it will be more than 1 page this time.

I apologize in advance for my intended lack of blogging for the next month or so. Honestly I’ve been lame anyway when it comes to posting and commenting, as you may have noticed. Perhaps it’s time for a little blogging break. I don’t mean I’m going to disappear or anything. I think I’ll just post a little less often and relax about that, rather than feeling like it’s “been 3 whole days and I HAVE to get a post up.” No I don’t. Blogging is not an obligation – remember that all you blogging ladies because I know how hard it is to get caught up and then it’s not fun anymore.

Today I wrote the first page or so (again) and I have to say it was amazing to do something that had nothing to do with Sam. It was bizarre and weirdly exciting. I kept feeling like I should stop and write a children’s book instead so that I could somehow relate what I was doing to him. But I didn’t, and for half an hour I did something of my own. So for all of you out there who have ever had the inclination to try and write more than your blog, join me and go on over to the NaNoWriMo site and sign on up.

14 Comments:

Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

YAY for you!! That's awesome. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself.

10:21 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I signed up for NaBloWriMo (National Blog Writing Month).

Secretly, I'm going to write a book. I've even started. But don't tell anyone, ok?? ;-)

Good luck!!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

That is awesome Beth. I really need to get back to my story... time... time...

I must find the time.

12:31 AM  
Blogger mamashine said...

I signed up last year and came in woefully short, like by about 45,000 words. But they sent me an email asking me to try again this year, so I'll be doing it too. Good luck!

8:59 AM  
Blogger kate said...

beth! good for you!!! i bet your book will be excellent.

i know exactly what you mean about being a stay at home mom being fulfilling, but also reeeeeaally needing something of your own. something that is just yours.
that's why i started bubble and squeak. i love to draw. thought i could draw for kids and felt i needed something to work on outside of mommydom.

good luck! and have fun with it!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

Way to go Beth. I remember the writing bug, I wish it would come back. I wish you all the best luck in your story!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so great, Beth! You are an awesome writer. May I read it when you're done?

1:31 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Go for it! My husband did Nanowritmo last year and wrote a novel, and he's doing it again this year. He says it is a lot of fun.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Good for you, Beth. I hope you find that it makes you happy.

And I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Good luck!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! That's so cool Beth! May I read the manuscript some day?!

I always dreamed of being a writer in my melancholy highschool days (I had a poem published if that counts for anything!) I've wanted to write a book, memoir-ish something... about preemies, NICU, etc. after X was born and I read "The Early Birds" which just pissed me off... I don't think I have the time or energy for it now, but someday I really hope to write something.

Good luck and happy writing!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:37 PM  
Blogger bon said...

oooh! Someday I will be there too!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've signed up for NaNoWriMo this year too! I'm eager to get started...I just read through the first section of Chris Baty's book "No Plot, No Problem"...this is the "guidebook" for NaNoWriMo...lots of tips and hints. Good Luck next month!!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to see all the bloggers who are writing this month. Good luck and keep us updated! :)

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home