Friday, October 13, 2006

Top Three - Driving Music

So I think I'm going to start something new on my blog called "Top Three." It will, in essence, be a list of my top three...of anything I happen to want it to be that day - books, movies, songs, snacks, who knows what, and then an invitation for you to add your list in the comments. And I am not assigning it a day because that will just stress me out. I may try and stick to Fridays but it is possible that Top Three will be random, so you'll just have to keep a look out.

I decided to start this today because I was driving with Sam and listening to a totally awesome CD. I was lovin' it and I just thought to myself, "I have to tell someone about this totally awesome CD! Who can I tell? Who else would love this CD?" My first thought was Mama D, which I thought was cool in a lot of ways. It's funny how much blogging has permeated our lives, I think. I mean, I've never met D in person but I truly believe I know her well enough to know that she'd probably like what I was hearing, and she came to mind just as easily as any "in-person" friend would have. And then I thought of a few other CDs I've really loved as of late and how it's rare for me to find music I like because I just don't have access to what is current, you know, with my only human contact being a toddler and all. So I thought that maybe I could share some music picks with you guys, then you could respond with your own list, and then we'll all have a few new ideas for new possibilities.

So here goes, the first ever Top Three: Best CDs to listen to in the car. And let me just emphasize that with the exception of D you should probably listen to some songs on itunes or amazon or something before spending any money because jeez, I don't know what you like, this is just me.

1.The Killers - Sam's Town. This is the one I was listening to today. I'm not very familiar with their first release which, according to reviews, was their masterpiece. This new one just happened to be in the car because my husband just got it, but he did let me know that he knew I'd like them. Well, he was right. Great driving music with a really nice 80's influence I'd say. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a synthesizer involved in the 3rd track. It's nostalgic but not in a depressing way, and there is a chain of songs, I think tracks 3-6, that are just about the best songs I've heard in months.

2. Dixie Chicks - Taking The Long Way. This is pretty uncharacteristic for me because I'm not a country fan. But when I heard all the hype about what they said about Bush and all that my interest was piqued so I decided to give them a shot. Besides, I've always loved me some good sing along with the ladies driving music and this most recent release of theirs fit the bill. For me, about half of this disc is really great and the other half I could take or leave. But the good part is really very good. Track 2 is chillingly lovely and bookended (tracks 1 and 3) by the strongest sing your guts out in the car songs since the Indigo Girls, hence its inclusion in the list.

3.Stellastarr - stellastarr. Talk about your 80's Brit pop influence! I love this album. Love it. In this case I am not going to recommend the most recent release from this band because their new one really left me wanting...wanting more of the female co-singer! I'll admit I am hugely swayed by female singers, probably because I love to sing in the car and singing along with a woman is somehow more fun for me. That said, this is a rockin' band very reminiscient of Pulp in my opinion, who I would like with or without the alto, and she just makes them that much cooler.

So there you have it - my first "Top Three." Now, if you will be so kind, please let me know what your favorite driving CDs are and maybe we'll all find something new and wonderful. Only rule: no kid music. Nope, sorry. That would totally defeat the purpose here. Adults only - I mean, kids can hear all of this stuff, it's just not written for children. And for the record, these all are my more recent picks. I didn't include things like Rites of Passage and Check Your Head because I figure if you're gonna listen to that stuff you've certainly already found it by now. So if you need a way to narrow your list down you could always choose the more recent music/bands so that we can all learn about the new music that we may not yet have encountered.

15 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

Oh Yay! I love this kind of stuff!! Okay Beth - here is my top three at the moment playing in my car when Kaelen's CD's aren't:

1. Elton John's Greatest Hits. I have all of his CD's but just purchased this one at his concert a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely fabulous and I can sing like the diva himself.
2. Nelly Furtado - Loose. Gotta support my fellow Canadian here. Her new CD is very reminicent of the music in the gorgeous 80's. Besides - it gets Kaelen seat dancing as well.
3. The Whittingham Compilation. My husband and I put together a CD with our favorite songs to give to guests at our wedding. He chose 8 songs, I chose 8 songs and we had a mutual song. The music ranges from the Mama's & Papa's all the way through to Ricky Martin. There are no slow sappy songs - all songs that you can sing your heart out and dance to. Want one? I would be more than happy to mail you one .... :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

I do not play children's music for my little guy because I would lose my mind listening to that stuff. He mostly likes anything country (lord only knows why) and classical (thanks to his daddy). When I do manage to listen to my music, its hardrock all the way. I've also been known to be stuck in the 90's too.

My top 3 recent fav picks for driving music include:

1. Anything by Vast. I only knew one song by them until I discovered the rest of their stuff through "other" means.

2. Monster Magnets Power Trip CD. That gets me in trouble because I refer to it as Drive Fast Music.

3. A Perfect Circle - 13th Steep. I didn't care too much for their newest one I think.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I really wish I was a music listener type of person. I am so unfamiliar with what's out there right now and when most people would likely have music playing I'm enjoying the silence. I do go through spells though so I will play along.

1. Pachebel's Canon in D - I went through a spell a few years back where I had a lot of road rage driving to work. I think it was because I didn't really like my job.......anyhow that's off topic.........I thought that if I played some nice relaxing music while I drove it would help me to chill out. Sorta worked I guess. I do love this song though, I have a cd of it with ocean sounds accompanying it.

2. Casting Crowns (self-titled album) - This is currently the only "adult" music in our van. When I'm by myself I'll quite often put it on. I saw them in concert a couple of years ago and loved them so much I bought the cd. That says a lot because I don't buy cds. I highly recommend it.

3. The Other Sister soundtrack - I love this movie and the songs that go along with it. I know the words, it's reliable.

I love your Top Three idea, I'm excited to see what's next!!

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't spent money on new music for a long while--about 10 years. I listen to talk radio in town. But on my last road trip I listened to Rites of Passage and Strangefire, 12 Deadly Cyns (Cyndi Lauper's greatest hits), and Channel 32 from an a-capella group Extempo.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lately?
1.)LEVY: Rotton Love, which is seriously such a good album. I have heard one song off their new CD and it's awesome too, must get that.
The Soundtrack to Grey's Anatomy, I really like the Regina Spektor song and everything is else is very good.
And (oh so corny, I know) a mixed CD that Piers made called "Love Songs for Katie". It has that Flaming Lips Song that I am not sure what the name is, but it is frickin' beautiful, "Do you realize...". It also has a bunch of Belle and Sebastion and that Replacements song, "Skyway" which is super sweet and Jack calls the "lovely song".

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I love the Chicks.

M top 3 at the moment are the new Xtina CD, Julie London and Kelly Clarkson. I'm not proud of it.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I'm more of a NPR in the car kind of woman myself but I was thinking of buying that Killers CD. Thanks for the reminder.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh, love you- because before I read on, I had thought of Rites of Passage! Here's a really quick thinking Top 3 of mine right now (and of course it always depends on what mood I am in that day):

1. Jeff Buckley "Grace"
2. Joni Mitchell "Blue"
3. Sufjan Stevens "Illinois"
*and I am going to cheat and throw in a 4th*
4. Feist "Let It Die"

10:20 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I love this idea!!

Today I chose three cassette tapes to listen to in the car...so you get those. I know, I can't believe that a) they still work and b) my car actually has a cassette player. oh well.

REM, Out of Time (one of my all time faves)

The Smithereens, Especially for You (I love Pat DiNizio's voice)

The Smithereens, 11 (loved it a little more)

I'm pretty random with my music...none of these three are even from this millenium, ha ha. :-)

PS I do love that new Dixie Chicks - it's very good!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Oh dear, this is going to be a long comment. Don't say I didn't warn you.

First of all I am so incredibly flattered by this post. For so many reasons. I know I've been 'reading you' for a long time now and I also know that we've emailed each other but I have to admit I love your writing and this blog so much that you are kind of like a rock star to me. So the fact that you thought of me when listening to music, thinking that I'd like it is just so great. I would do the same thing. I often feel like a weirdo because I find myself feeling closer to and thinking of some of the people I've met through blogging than I do to my 'real life' friends. Such is the case with you.

When Peter and I were first dating and lived apart we used to send each other mixed tapes and write our own little review of each song, why we liked it and so on. Once we'd received the tape and listened to it we would write our own reviews of each song and what we thought of them. It was so much fun and I thought we got to know each other really well this way. So knowing that you'll understand why I have to do the following...

The Killers - I have only heard them on the radio but I have always really liked what I've heard. I too here that 80's influence which is yummy. I happened to catch them performing live on an MTV special. I just about died when I saw the lead singers icky mustache. If there is one thing I hate it is a mustache. I wish I hadn't seen it. Now I'm having nightmares. I get that it's supposed to be 'cool' but it just SO isn't to me... I should listen to both albums in their entirety.

The Dixie Chicks - This is pretty much the only country music that I would subject my music sensitive ears to. I admit to thinking these girls are terribly cool. I love that they play so many instruments and are so talented to go along with their good looks. And they are fun to sing to. Landslide, although it was a cover, was great.

Stellastar - Can you believe I have never heard or heard of this band. Do you still think I'm cool? You have intrigued me and I now want to listen to them.

OK! Now for mine, but I fear I may disappoint you. I'm not on the new music bus at all these days... But I'll do my best.

Coldplay - XY (Anytime you ride in my car you are likely to hear a Coldplay album playing. I will listen to any of their albums in my car over and over and over. I never get sick of any of them. Peter sometimes gets frustrated and can't believe I'm STILL listening to the same Coldplay album. I picked XY because it's their newest.)

Keane - Hopes and Fears (I discovered this band through the internet radio station "Virgin Radio" out of England. They were popular in England way before they were popular in North America. I think I like them because they sound like Coldplay, but not as good. Ha!)

The Cure - Disintegration (Um... obviously not new but I had to include an album by my favorite band of all time. And it is also my favorite album. From beginning to end it is awesome.)

P.S. Check your Head rocks.

7:30 PM  
Blogger bon said...

Ahhh!

I MUST have for travelling...

1. Aretha Frankin- one of her "greatest hits" or another.

2. The Commitments- Soundtrack to the movie.

3. Foo Fighters- any and all of it.

Used to be that i could go nowhere without Social Distortion's self titled albumn, Sound Garden's Louder Than Love, and/or New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle... but my, how things change. Now I've gotta go hit iTunes for a good investigate!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My top three—

Phantom of the Opera
• Soundtrack from Winnie the Pooh’s Heffalump Movie (My 3-year loves it, especially the song that goes, “What Do You Do/ When Something New/ Crosses Your Path/ Out of the Blue—OK. I remember the lyrics, not the title).
Fun With Numbers



Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

6:40 PM  
Blogger kate said...

yay! i love lists. i was just going to post something about listmaking,but you beat me to it! we have a major "top ten list" passion in this family.

driving tunes, huh?

here's what i must have in the car (in no particular order):

1. Deb Talan - A Bird Flies Out. i am a suckah for girls with guitars and yes, i believe joni mitchell is mother to all the ladies. w/o her we'd have no indigo girls OR deb talan. she's fab, fab, fab.

2. Glen Phillips - Winter Pays For Summer. this is a nearly perfect album. good songwriting. thoughtful. good hooks.

3. The Innocence Mission - Befriended. my favorite band. must-have for car chill-out time.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh I love music, plus I think this is a great idea, I may just start it on my blog.

My top three:

1. Barenaked Ladies: Barenaked Ladies Are Me/Men. It's there new albums and they are amazing. I am obsessed.

2. U2: The album with Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment and Elevation. It is a great CD, a good one for the car

3. Most anything that people have posted here. Dixie Chicks, execellent, could Natalies voice be any more wonderful. Coldplay, thanks for great, creative, sing-a-longable music.

great post

Jenn

11:40 PM  
Blogger smart mama said...

I usually don't listen to whole albums in the car but digging keane and aqualung for night drives lately

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home