Sunday, October 01, 2006

Birthday Girl

One of the best things that has ever happened for the relationship I have with my mother was becoming a mom myself.

After Sam was born my mother came and stayed with us. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I will never forget the overwhelming love I felt for her and my baby.

The way that everything comes full circle in those first weeks home with your new baby - it's so hard and yet such an amazing milestone. You are there, a mother yourself, but needing so desperately to be mothered. My mom was there through some very difficult times, fulfilling every need, feeding me as though I were a child, helping me heal from a very difficult surgery followed by an infection, and assuring me along the way that I could do this mothering thing too, that she did it and had "done a damn fine job of it," and so could I.

This is my favorite picture of her. I love her smile. Beautiful.

When I look at these pictures I see myself in her and Sam in me. I am struck by how much I look like her, how much I act like her. She's the one who taught me how to be a mother, and I'm doing a damn fine job of it, if I do say so myself.


Today is my mom's birthday. She is probably one of your lurkers - she subscribes to bloglines, because she's cool like that, but she probably has never commented, because she's shy like that. But she knows who all of you are and even asks me about you specifically in her emails. So if you are here, please join me in wishing her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Beth's mom! What lovely photos :)

9:45 PM  
Blogger mamashine said...

How sweet! Happy birthday!

I called my mom crying a few weeks after Gilly was born and asked her, "Do you love me THIS MUCH?" You just don't know, until you're a mom yourself. Moms are so special.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That is a beautiful tribute!

Happy Birthday!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Lynanne said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your mom!!!

This is absolutely beautiful! You are so very lucky to have such a great mom.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Oh Happy Birthday Beth's mom! Those pictures are gorgeous and I think they really capture the relationship you must have with each other.

I can totally relate to this post. Especially "You are there, a mother yourself, but needing so desperately to be mothered." Totally. I think that is what scared me so much. I was like, "But I can't even take care of myself. How am I supposed to care for this baby?"

Such a wonderful post. Thanks.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me cry. What a great birthday present. You are a "damn fine mother" and a "damn fine daughter". Love ya!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

So beautiful, Beth.

Happy birthday to your mom. You two are lucky to have each other.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Happy Birthday, Beth'sMom! My mom turned 70 last week and I am so grateful for her presence. May dreams come true for you this year :-)Chrissy

6:22 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my goodness what a wonderful post! Those pictures are awesome!

6:42 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Happy Birthday! :-)

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Those pics look awesome, and I'm amazed at the clarity.

I can see your features in Sam. :) Amazing.

11:56 AM  
Blogger smart mama said...

don't you love great moms who teac us how to be great moms-- I think moms are the best lurkers-

1:36 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

Happy Birthday Mom! You are obviously an amazing Mom especially considering what a wonderful woman and Mother Beth has become!!

Beth - even though I have never seen a picture of Hubby - I can't get over how much Sam looks like you in your baby photos!!

Thanks for the encouraging post to uplift my spirits and for Hubby's insight on posting banner pictures!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

That was very beautiful post. I remember feeling the need to be mothered back then too. Happy Birthday Beth's Mom!

7:09 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Happy Birthday, Beth's Mom!!!!!
You must be so proud of your daughter.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! I am sure you are mother to many... not just Beth! What a beautiful woman you are... the love and affection for your child is in your eyes!

Great photos, Beth! Thanks for sharing!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Happy Birthday to your mom. What great pictures!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Valarie said...

happy birthday to Beth's mom! That is a great tribute and that you posted it speaks a lot for your relationship.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - Happy Birthday to your Mom! What a beautiful post!

This is something I've always longed for, becoming a mom held a bit of the opposite effect for my mother and I... thankfully I've gotten a taste of unconditional mothering from my MIL - it is good!

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your mom! Isn't it amazing how having a baby changes everything with your own mother? Or maybe not changes, but intensifies?

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Beth's mom! Sam definitely looks like you!

I love your new pics on your header!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Beth's mom. It seems you raised a great girl.

Beth, my sister Heidi lurks at your blog often. That's awesome your mom is so involved in your blog.

3:05 PM  
Blogger k said...

Even though I'm almost two weeks late, I want to wish Beth's mom a Happy Birthday, too!! I'm also a lurking grandma whose daughters are big time bloggers (and I blog a little,too, she said bashfully) and I like to read the blogs they like when I have time. I share your mother's joy and pride in having done a "damn fine job" raising daughters and being so thrilled to help with the next generation. Love to you all!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home