Friday, December 15, 2006

You Guessed It

Yes, it's true. But who knew that crying during Sesame Street and eating an entire crab dip was such normal behavior? I am pregnant though. It's very, very early, as evidenced by the fact that I am still able to eat crab dip and the very idea of it does not sicken me. On the contrary, when thinking about what I wanted for lunch that day it was clear immediately that that was absolutely the only thing that I wanted and I needed it NOW. When pregnant with Sam I had constant nausea for most of the first trimester. I'm assuming it's just too early for that right now, and I can't remember when it started with Sam. But I'm going on the assumption that it will probably return soon so I'm trying to fill up on everything that I know will disgust me starting any day now and for the next 8 or so months. Among those things I include seafood and chicken. Chicken totally creeped me out when pregnant with Sam. Absolutely no chicken could be anywhere near me for fear I'd see those fleshy strings or, even worse, smell it. The smell was the downfall with the fish too. But I digress...

Sam is going to be a big brother. Some of you may be a little confused since it was not so long ago that I wrote this. And I have to say that even while writing it I was thinking my feelings seemed pretty normal. I was getting a little scared because I knew we were about to do this for real and it wasn't going to just be talk anymore. I think no matter how old Sam is I will always have concerns about him when it comes to having another child. How could I not? It's been just us and that will change. I've often heard of mothers wondering if they can love another child as much as their first and the resounding answer seems to be 'yes.' Things change, but for the better.

Hubby and I talked a lot after that post about my feelings on that matter and his. And so we entered an official state of "not, not trying" to have baby. You know, we weren't specifically not trying...or were specifically not...yeah, you get it. And this past month we just happened to not, not try at a fairly crucial time, although honestly we did not expect anything so quickly; that seemed impossible. Not long after that I had many tantrums over the course of several days that led Hubby to wonder what the hell was wrong with me, and not long after that I wondered what the hell was wrong with me, myself. Then I bought the Early Response, took the test, went out and bought another, and then another just to be sure, and you know the rest of the story.

August. Yeah, you heard me. August. That's when I'm due. I'm going to be that huge pregnant woman sweating and with swollen feet trying to pull off cute baby doll dresses that look more like mumus. I have always given sympathy to any woman I have seen pregnant in the summer and expressed how I could never do it. I probably thought to myself how I'd never let myself have to do it. Hmpf. So much for that. I actually have a friend here that is taking a break from trying to get pregnant to avoid a summer due date. Crazy? Mmmmm, I'm not so sure. And, you know, I thought it was really important to have an August/butt end of summer due date specifically so that I could be increasing in size as the temp rose for maximum uncomfortability. And laboring in 100 degrees certainly does sound nice...

I'm going to kick myself for saying this later but I do wish I felt pregnant in some way. Knowing how I felt physically that first time along with the surprise of how quickly this occurred makes it feel very surreal. I have to keep reminding myself that we are going to have another baby almost because I'm not totally convinced. Like I said though, I'm sure I'll be way more convinced than I want to be very soon.

Sam's going to be a big brother...maybe to a little sister...or a little brother is good too...

And since you all seem to be drooling over crab dip let me go ahead and share that little tidbit with you. It's super easy, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make it in my feverishly starving state. It's something I remember my mom would make sometimes when people were coming over. I always remember it being served with Triscuits, so that's what I did.


Crazy Pregnant Lady's Craving Crab Dip
You need:
1 package cream cheese
1 can crab
1 can baby shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bottle cocktail sauce
Worcestershire Sauce, optional (wow, I had no idea that was spelled that way)
Crackers

If you are using Worcestershire, mix the pack of cream cheese with a few teaspoons of the sauce. Spread the mixture in a layer on a large plate. If you skip the sauce just spread the cream cheese on a plate. That's what I did in my mad panic and I didn't really notice a difference in the taste when it was done.

Drain the two cans of seafood and mix together with about 1 bottle of cocktail sauce, depending on how big of a bottle it is. Spread this mixture over the cream cheese. Oh yeah, I think you can also top it with a little lemon juice if you want...I forgot about that...that would have been really good...damn...

Grab box of triscuits or other cracker thing. Submerge in dippy goodness. Stuff face. This recipe is particularly good when the only reason you have the ingredients on hand is because you intend to make the dip for a playgroup you are hosting and instead decide it should be all yours.

Enjoy!

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Mall Worker said...

That is just some great news! As someone who was pregnant through the summer, you already have my deepest sympathies. Fans, ice cream, and air conditioned stores will be your best friend.

I'm so happy for you, your hubby and Sam!

I can totally vouch for that recipe. I make that for holiday parties!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jenifer said...

Ah yes, summer and pregnant. I have 2 children born August 11, 2004 and September 3, 2006. Needless to say, I know how you will feel. Think AC.

As for adding another child, I won't pretend it won't be hard at first. The first three weeks of my son's life, between my out of whack hormones, and a 2 year old's temper tantrums resulting from big sister jealousy, I questioned my sanity and wondered why on EARTH I thought I wanted another baby.

But, now he is 3 months old, the jealousy has passed, and my daughter tells everyone that will listen how much she loves her baby brother. It is truly amazing how similar yet completely different they are and I love them both so completely it hurts.

I am even contemplating a third...now I REALLY question my sanity!!

AND YUM!! I'm gonna try the crab dip!!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Lynanne said...

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I'm probably going to get flogged for this but I actually didn't mind being pregnant in the summer (late July and September babies). Maybe I'm just weird (ok, that's a given) but my belly gets itchy and hot toward the end and I can't stand having anything on it. I was much happier when I could wear lightweight/sheer cotton tops than heavier winter clothing (with my late January and now late April babies). Oh, and swimming pools in the summer...mmmmm...cool, boyant water! I got to the point that I didn't care if I looked like a whale. I was pregnant darnit!

On the other hand, I HATED early pregnancy and morning sickness in the summer. The air condition gave me a headache and made things worse. I couldn't go outside because the heat and humidity made me hurl...ugh!

Thanks for the crab dip recipe! It sounds yummy!!!!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

YAY YAY YAY!!! CONGRATS! Wishing you a happy, healthy and uneventful nine months!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! that's wonderful news.

If you wait a couple months to avoid summer hugeness, you start running into a holiday birthday and who wants one of those? That lasts the kid's whole life, not just one crappy summer. I'm sure it'll work out fine.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't be more happy for you, and your family. And if it's not too weird to admit, I may have teared up for you :)

Jamie

6:19 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Well this is AWESOME. Congrats! We always used the term "not not trying" too!

Oh, and I LOVED being pregnant in summer! (I was twice!) There are so many cute maternity tanks and skirts you can wear and just get out that kiddie pool and lounge with Sam- you'll LOVE it!!! I went through my last pregnancy in the hottest summer ever with NO AIR in our van... I survived- you can, too!

6:43 PM  
Blogger bon said...

HOOOO! Congratulations on the expectations! Although.... August? I am with you on the "YIKES" factor.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. My kids were born in early October and late July (actually due in August). If you don't have a pool, beg borrow or steal a pool pass *somewhere*. The neighborhood pool was my favorite hang out. Swallow the pride and waddle yourself down to the pool. It feels fabulous!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also didn't mind being pregnant in the summer. As you may remember I had Miss A in September so I made it through the whole summer during my most pregnant months. You can do it!

Slurpee from 7-11 may have helped a great deal!

8:47 PM  
Blogger smart mama said...

that is great- here is hoping for some uneventful months!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Hurray on the pregnancy! Such great news! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy that wonderful feeling of having a living being growing inside.

7:54 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you all!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So so so exciting :) I am getting the baby urge too, but I must hold off. Good luck and keep eating, you'll need your energy!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Goodness, I am so excited for you. My son is 18 months old and we are wanting a second, as well. I think that we should downgrade to "not not trying" as well, to see if that'll do the trick. Wishing you a wonderful nine months! YAAYYYY!!
P.S. We're at devriesthree.blogspot.com

1:49 AM  
Blogger notquitestandard said...

Congratulations!!!

I guess the not, not trying worked!

It's surprising that you're the 4th friend of mine to get preggy with number 2 this year. I hear, as far as the Chinese calendar is concerned, 2007 is a good year to give birth. Something about it being the year of the mouse and it involving gold. I dunno. Anyhoo..soooooooo happy for you!

3:01 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! What a terrific Christmas present--will you tell the families?!

Don't stress too much about the August date. September wasn't any easier. By the time you're ready to get out and about for real, with both kids, the weather will be glorious!
hugs, Chrissy

8:59 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh yay! Congrats, congrats, congrats! And that crab dip sounds delicious.

8:09 PM  
Blogger kate said...

hoooooray! congratulations! a new baby to be!

: )

10:14 PM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Congratulations again, and you can make it through the summer. Tom was born August 13, and that was pretty uncomfortable, but I agree with one of the previous posters that the lightweight summer clothes were a blessing.

Here's hoping you have a nice, cool summer ahead of you!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Congrats Congrats Congrats!!! Eli was born in August - the end of august - so I know the 'heat' month of hell :) I'm expecting also - early July, but we haven't told my family yet (which is why I haven't posted about it yet). Glad to know there is another momma-to-be-again out there with me :)

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations on baby number 2!!

And I couldn't stand chicken or eggs during my pregnancy, either. Couldn't stand to even think of them.

- Mrs. Chicky (damn you, Blogger Beta)

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Beth! I'm so excited for you! Since I'm good at watching how things go for you before trying them for myself, I'll be careful charting your progress as a soon to be mom of two - no pressure or anything :) lol! Happy 9 months!

1:22 AM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Well, I wasn't due in August, but I actually liked being big in the summer instead of barely pregnant. This way, everyone KNOWS why you might be looking like crap, why your thighs are big and why your hair hasn't been fixed in a few weeks. Early pregnancy? They just think you're slipping...

Anyway! Congratulations!! I hope the morning sickness stays away or only visits for a brief period. My m.s. got less and less with each pregnancy, so I'll cross my fingers for you!

What a great Christmas present!

8:05 AM  
Blogger bon said...

Am making
Pregnant Lady Crab Dip for our Christmas Eve party... let ya know how that goes!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'm late to chime in, but congrats!! I was pregnant with my daughter all through the summer (Sept. birthday), and it really wasn't too bad. I just lived in lightweight tops and shorts and went swimming as much as possible.

The fact that I'm pregnant in the winter this time had nothing to do with avoiding the heat, but instead I didn't want both kids to have birthdays close together.

I'm further along than you, but still just as nervous about how I will work a second child into the mix. I worry about Cordy feeling jealous, and how I will handle two at the same time. But women have been doing it for a long time, so I guess it can't be too bad, right?

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home