Monday, November 20, 2006

Holiday Prep: Bangs and Boobs

Here's a little bit of unsolicited advice:

If you look at your child and think to yourself, "He needs a haircut before we go visit our relatives for Thanksgiving...I think I'll cut it myself," just stop right there. Even if it will save you money. Even if you just have such a long to do list that the thought of scheduling another appointment makes your heart race (in a bad way). Even if your friends paid you in college to cut their hair and you even cut your own hair for 4 years and the haircuts you give your husband are always his favorite cuts. Just stop. Because none of this will matter when you are feeling rushed because it is past bedtime and you and your husband are trying to trick your child into being still in the bath tub so that you can trim his bangs. Yes, that's right, you will decide that the bath tub is the best place for this salon session to take place because your child's hair will already be wet and the only time you can get a comb through the dreads in back is when you've glopped conditioner all over his head. And so you will think that you can get in the bath with him and sit behind him and cut his hair while your Hubby entertains him by pouring water from cup to cup. But you will be wrong, thereby predestroying all holiday photos by cutting your son's bangs to an odd length that somehow emphasizes his abnormally large forehead. And that is why you should just stop. Ruined Thanksgiving pictures to follow.

And now, as if I didn't have enough to stress me out before flying for the holidays with a toddler, did you see this crap? (Now that you're enraged you can go sign this petition so as to not feel quite so powerless.) Let me just say that if Sam were to not nurse for take off and landing, and as a result his ears started hurting during the flight then every passenger on that plane would wish that they'd gotten to see both of my huge nummies exposed rather than experience the shrieks that would ensue. And yeah, just try and cover his head with a blanket while he nurses. I dare you.

18 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh yes, you should always ignore those urges to cut a child's hair. I know that only too well, or more specifically my husband knows that only too well. It is something to be carefully thought out in advance.

That thing in the paper about the mother being kicked off the plane ticked me off too. The nerve of some people! Let the poor kid nurse!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Valarie said...

I'm sure he's as cute as ever. I learned yesterday not to try to cut my son's hair while my husband is napping. I had no one to distract him and have ruined 2nd birthday photos as well as holiday.

The breastfeeding thing? ridiculous. Seriously, anyone who has been doing it for 22 months has it down to an art and can do it with exposing almost no flesh. I'm so glad I've never had a problem nursing on a plane.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

Oh I've learned the never cut your kids hair twice. So I'm right there with you!

That breastfeeding in a plane thing makes me so mad.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

I've learned that lesson many, many times. I trimmed my oldest daughter's bangs the night before school picture day last year, and her resulting photo really screams "My mother cuts my hair." It's lovely.
Yeah, that breastfeeding thing sucks. Boo.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

I flew Frontier this month with my 5 month old daughter. I nursed her without any problems at all. I was even rehearsing what I was going to say if anyone gave me any problems :)
She doesn't like her head covered either!!
I can't believe this article!! Aren't people ignorant?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Already signed that petition. I feel a little better. Calming down. Breathing... Wow, that is infuriating!

Is it okay if I get the urge to cut A's hair and impulsively decide to do it? You know, since I'm a profesional?

Sorry that your impulsiveness didn't go so well. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. Can you really make that kid look bad? I do want to see pictures though.

5:45 PM  
Blogger bon said...

As this happened on Delta Airlines I am sure that it comes as no great shock to anyone they are bankrupt and selling to the highest bidder. Let us hope that U.S. Airways (the purchaseing company)can manage to remember that they are a service freaking industry... serving HUMANS!

What? Should we starve our babies to appease some pathetic souls perverted attitude toward a woman's breast?

Haircuts? get 'em during a nap... they are hairy when they wake up, but a bath and a little laundry, eh-ya go!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Let the lack of pictures of my middle child for a while show you that my husband did the exact same thing, in the bath tub, to my poor child's locks... with an electric razor.

And about the breastfeeding airline fiasco... have you read this?

http://www.alphamom.com/site/wonderland/

9:10 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I promise never to cut my kids' hair. As for nursing babies and blankets, forget about it. I've tried to explain this to friends, friends mind you. They don't get it. I tell them babies/toddlers are easily distracted and naturally want to look around. It's impossible to guarantee I won't flash someone. How can the American society be so...so...AAAAHHHH, it angers me to no end!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Gah! Sorry the bathtime haircut went awry. I could totally see myself doing that so thanks for the warning.

I'm sure all photos of your son will still come out great though. It is impossible for a bad haircut to hide that amount of cuteness.

Oh yeah, and DOWN WITH DELTA!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure Sam looks as cute as can be, how could he not?
The Delta thing makes me so mad. I read the forum on MSNBC and was shocked by the number of mothers who think that the woman should have covered up. Get real! And did you hear about the Victoria's Secret employee who asked a mother to nurse in the bathroom? Geeze people, if you don't want to look at my boob, turn your head!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd have to be nuts to cover a baby with an AIRPLANE blanket. They aren't washed or replaced in between flights. I wouldn't use one on myself. Rather be cold.

I'm sorry to hear Sam's haircut wasn't a success. He's so cute, he can transcend wonky bangs.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hair... why do we do that? I have picked up the scissors the take care of a few of Xavier's strays several times... I then take a deep breath, put them down and back away. At least you didn't put a bowl around his head and trim around it right?!

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

With 84 months total of breastfeeding under my belt, I had to sign this petition! Thanks for the info!!

(his bangs will grow...the Christmas photos will be fine :-))

6:31 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

Hope you had a wonderful Thankgiving.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Lei said...

Yikes - sorry about the haircut mishap. I've had just a few of those... it all turns out well as hair grows. Thank goodness!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

that is so funny - i just posted about cutting my son's hair too. he hates to get his hair cut, so basically i was trying to save the embarrasing trip to the barber. i spent more on the clippers than i would have on the haircut!

i nursed my daughter on the plane about 4 months ago - i honestly don't know if anyone noticed, and if they did, noone said anything. if they had, i don't think i would have been as compliant as that lady.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Karla Porter Archer said...

I've done that haircutting thing too... EEEKKKKKK!!!!

That is INSANE about the woman on the plane!! Thanks for pointing that out!

Blessings,
Karla

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home