Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Holiday events!

First things first - I know you all have been buckling under the anticipation of finding out the true nature of the filling inside this deep fried goodness. And so I tell you now that that, my friends, is your basic deep fried Oreo. Yep. Oreo...fried. Gross, huh? Well, I ate them all. It was so bizaare I just had to share it. Sorry the picture clue of Sam in the pumpkins threw some of you. I was just trying to convey that we were at one of those pumpkin patch farms when we discovered the deep fried Oreo. And those two pictures are the only ones worth sharing because the place was a freakin' mob scene.

For several weeks I'd been envying all your blog posts with your children frolicking among the pumpkins in fields of green under the blue, cloudless sky, so 2 weekends ago I insisted we give it a try as well. This was more like frolicking among fields of humans amidst a grey, smokey cloud. Seriously, are we not past the whole smoking around children thing? Guess not. The lines for things like hay rides and pony rides were hours (note the plural 's') long, so we couldn't do much in the way of activities. We tried to take Sam to the playground area where you had to pay to get in, but that lasted maybe 5 minutes due to the extremely dense layer of children writhing around everywhere we stepped. And so we made out with our two pumpkins and our deep fried food. While Hubby waited in line to pay for the pumpkins Sam and I watched a guy and his girlfriend inspect and take one of the pumpkins from the little photo area that the farm had set up...while someone was taking their child's picture. How's that for class? Have I painted a vivid picture of this experience yet? Next year we'll be driving to a farm further away from the city, I think.

Today we'll be attending a costume parade with the moms and kids from "the club." I totally half assed Halloween this year as far as Sam's costume. You know what though, I kept my eyes open for costume possibilities and even did some active searching and I'm telling you I did not see a single thing that my kid would keep on his body for more than 30 seconds. With all the fluff and fur and padding and synthetic fibers there was just no way. Plus there's the issue of budget. For a while Hubby and I brainstormed ideas for costumes I could make. We almost went with a vampire costume for him. He'd wear a t-shirt that said, "I vant to suuck your boooob," on it and on the cape the name "Lactacula" would be printed. After a little while it didn't sound like such a great idea as I envisioned the 3 year olds asking their moms about it and the moms not laughing but glaring at me. So in the end I decided to go simple and get him something he could play with after Halloween, unlike the skunk costume from last year that is now our cat's bed. I also figured the more toy-like his costume was the more likely it might hold his interest for the duration of the parade. So Sam will be a construction worker this year. I got him a Bob the Builder toolbelt and hard hat and he'll wear his jeans and a plaid shirt. Of course, the flannel is going to end up being too hot for him to wear this afternoon since it is almost 70 freakin' degrees here today! I expect the shirt will be shed early on, as will the toolbelt and hat if this goes anything like the test run last night, leaving Sam to do the parade in his t-shirt and jeans. Impressive, I know.

As for tonight I'm not sure what to do with him. I had hoped that he would get to put candy in the buckets/bags of the kids that would come to our door, but the neighbors say the kids in our buildings generally leave our apartment complex and head over to more residential areas. I know Sam could care less about trick or treating, I just thought he might like to look at other kids in costumes. Maybe we'll go take a walk through one of the neighborhoods so he can see. And after he goes to bed I'm sure Hubby and I will be enjoying any one of the fine Halloween flicks to be aired on tv tonight.

In other news we have a second word: "cah," sometimes pronounced "gah." Apparently my son is from Boston.

Happy Halloween, everyone.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mama D said...

Is it bad that I think deep fried Oreos sound way better than the pumpkin/blueberry whatsits I thought they were.

You should move here. We would have had lots of fun at a pumpkin patch place and people aren't allowed to smoke here in public places! How cool is that!?

Construction worker is a great costume and if he gets rid of the 'costume' just tell people he's 'Danny Zuko' from Grease. Ha!

3:06 PM  
Blogger bon said...

Yeah... you could move to Utah, more specificly "Happy Valley" and almost forget what cigarette smoke smells like entirely. It comes with it's own interesting culture shock however, and that's even if you ARE a Mormon!

Do you have a TandT thingy at your local mall? I've heard that's a good way to see some costumes and get sugared up.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Mall Worker said...

Yes, I second Mama D's suggestion. I also live in the same area and I can confirm that there are no smoking aloud in public places.

Fried oreo's sound very interesting. I must try one!

Happy Halloween!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I'm convinced that all young toddlers come from New England, given the fact that they never pronounce their Rs. However, to be a true New Englander you have to take those dropped Rs and put them in words where they don't belong. True story.

And I loved your Lactacula idea! If I were in your "club" I would have laughed my head off!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Lactacula! Hilarious. I love it.

We don't even have pumpkin farms around here. I so wish we did, it would make for a great scrapbooking page. We already have snow for Halloween. Woo hoo. Costumes in these here parts always need to be such that you can wear winter gear with them! I know, it sucks.

Happy Halloween! Sam will be so cute as Bob. I want to see pictures.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Love the Boston accent! Now that I think about it, it's been a while since you have posted some video... maybe you could show off some of Sam's new words?

Deep fried oreo sounds pretty good actually. They also had deep fried twinkies and snickers at our fair this year. I didn't try any of them, but I think the snickers was the most tempting.

And if you want my vote, I say move to Seattle. We have some great pumpkin patches around here, and also no smoking... :)

And FINALLY...Happy Halloween to you and your family. Sam will be the cutest little Bob.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

LOL! The costume is now the cat's bed? :-)

Construction worker is cool. He'll like those photos! And no one will be glaring. C

12:18 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I can't wait to hear the results of the day! The new word is great!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmm...deep-friend oreos. I heard they are amazing!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the funniest post I've read in a long time! Lactula- that would have been awesome!!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes my daughter is from England, sometimes NY, and sometimes Germany LOL. Depends on the word!! My sister is a huge deep fried oreo fan.

We live in FL so what they call a pumpkin patch down here is NOT what it was up in NJ when we lived there. Up there it's an actual patch. here, someone goes and tosses some pumpkins out in a field. No joke.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deep fried Oreos? How totally gross and yummy sounding at the same time! I've heard deep-fried Coke (as in cola) is the latest trend. I'm not sure I could stomach that one :)

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deep fried oreos...I've come across those (and deep-fried twinkies) a few times when we were living in Texas, but can't say I ever ate one!

I love the Bob the Builder...although I do think Lactula would have been hilarious!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home