Sunday, April 09, 2006

Negligence

It was a beautiful day in Chicago today. About 55 degrees and sunny. We had a lovely morning going to the park with friends and then out to a nice outdoor lunch. Everything was relaxing. As we walked home I even commented to hubby that I felt like our day was almost normal since Sam had been out so long and yet we had not had to modify what we wanted to do in order to keep him satisifed - the beauty of hanging out with other parents and their kids.

Sam woke up from his afternoon nap really cranky. Lots of crying very easily and whiny. I thought maybe he just didn't want to wake up or had a little gas or something (he had babyfood with a little bit of onion in it today - first onions). About an hour or so later I finally took a really good look at him and wondered why one of his cheeks was so red. He was sunburned. It was on one cheek under his eye and on that side of his little button nose. It must have happened as we selfishly ate our lunch chatting it up with our buds, handing him some finger foods every so often when he seemed unhappy. He didn't want finger foods; he wanted out of the sun!

I can't believe we let this happen. I swore I would not let him get sunburned ever in his entire childhood. He is so fair, blonder than blonde, blue veins showing through his skin. Of course he got burned from just a little exposure. I feel horrible, possibly the most negligent that I have ever felt. I keep apologizing to him every time I look at his little pink face. I'm sorry, Sam.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

It just doesn't seem like it should be sun-burn-o'clock in the year yet. I've had my kids out without screen this week too. Sheesh! I'd better break out the sunblock and hats. I'm glad you've joined the blogging ranks. It's a lot of fun. Good luck.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Being the worry crazed mama that I am, I have already been concerned about the sun though it's not really an issue here yet. What if she doesn't keep her hat on, will sunscreen do the trick, should I skip walks at certain times of the day. All that jazz. It'll happen though, I'm sure.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home