Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another kind of blogad

As a mom, it's really nice when you find a product that you feel truly makes your day a little easier, a little brighter, a little...smarter. I don't mean in the practical tell you about helpful products sort of way, but instead the I-feel-connected,-enlightened,-more-aware,-and-just- plain-old-proud-to-be-a-mom sort of way. That's how I feel when I read the following two magazines. And no, I am not getting paid or anything like that. I just wanted to share what I can about these mags because I genuinely enjoy them and I would have liked to learn about them earlier myself, so maybe you might too. I have read a good too many annoying magazines for moms that were product driven, uninspired, and just plain boring. These are different.


I found Wondertime in my pediatrician's office and immediately ran off to the bookstore to buy myself my own copy. It was exactly the kind of parenting magazine I'd been looking for, one that focused on and appreciated the beauty of childhood. The slogan after the title is, "Celebrate your child's love of learning," and I think what makes me enjoy the magazine so much is that it really does emphasize the joy and fun of learning and how you can find these opportunities in a natural and meaningful way, rather than pushing a mom to force her child to excel (you know how I feel about that whole flashcard mentality). Best part is, if you sign up to subscribe they will send you the first issue for free so you can check it out, so there's nothing to lose!


More recently I stumbled upon Brain, Child. Cool title, huh? At first I didn't like it but it has really grown on me - if you have a brain and you have a child, this is for you (I think I just don't like pausing between the words when I say it out loud). This is not the glossy photo filled run of the mill mass produced mag we have come to know. It is "The magazine for thinking mothers." I've only read one issue but that did not stop me from also subscribing to this one immediately. A few pages in, I think I was just reading the letters to the editor, and I said to my husband, "Wow, this magazine is smart." When you know how good a magazine is just by reading how eloquently its readers respond to its articles, that is something. A few more pages in and I was hooked - it was a section where readers respond to a topic set forth by the writers of the magazine. The topic was "When Kids Mimic Us," and I tell you as I sat there reading the stories people sent I felt like I was reading a string of really excellent blog posts and laughing out loud, reading some of the best to Hubby and cracking him up. The magazine is made up of essays, fiction writing, as well as features dealing with current topics facing us as moms. I love it.

I just thought I'd share these just in case there were others looking for something just a cut above. If you have parenting magazines that you love please share them with me in a comment - I love a good read!

12 Comments:

Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I may have to check out that Brain, Child one. I love essays and articles about topics that aren't the typical "how will I know when my baby's ready for ____?"

10:58 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I have been looking for some good "mommy" magazines I will have to check these ones out.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Brain, Child! Unfortunately it is very expensive up her, but I get it when I can! I'll have to check out Wondertime, it looks neat and I like the title.
Hope you are doing well on the sleep front!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Never heard of them, but glad I have now! I am checking them out this weekend! ThAnKs So MuCh!

2:11 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Never heard of either, will have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Valarie said...

I heard about Brain, Child for the first time just the other day. I think I'll have to pick these up. The comp issues of Parenting? yeah, good recycle bin filler.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, gots to check them out!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

I think I might have to give these two a try. Thanks for sharing.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I haven't seen either of those before... thanks for the tip!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

I haven't read either of these, and I have no idea if they are available on the shelves her in Canada. I should check it out though.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

I love Wondertime, too. I've been meaning to subscribe to it for a while. I feel like all the other typical parenting mags gloss over the real essence of being parents. And I don't need half the stuff those mags have...if I wanted beauty and fashion tips I would have picked up Cosmo.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love Brain, Child. In fact, I even bought the Best Of edition and was hooked. The only problem? Each issue is way too short! I could read for days.

I'll have to check out the other one as you obviously have good taste.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home